Google is testing a new feature for Chrome on the iPhone and iPad that will allow you to lock incognito tabs with Face ID if they are left open in the background. (Unfortunately, the feature isn’t available on Android – at least not yet).
Chrome’s incognito mode prevents your device from saving your browsing history, which can be helpful if you need to look up something secretly. However, if you don’t close your incognito tabs every time you quit using Chrome, someone could easily open your background tabs to see what you’re up to. However, by enabling the new privacy feature, you can safely keep incognito tabs open in Chrome without fear of someone sniffing into the object you are hiding while you are not looking.
The feature is available in the stable iOS Chrome app, but it’s hidden in the experimental flags menu and not readily available in the app settings. It’s possible that Google will make it a standard feature in a future app update, but here’s how to enable it for now:
- to open chrome: // flags in a new Chrome tab on your iPhone or iPad.
- Use the search bar to find “Device authentication for incognito.”
- Put the flag on “Activated” from the drop-down list.
- Tap to restart Chrome when prompted to save and apply your changes.
- Open Chrome again and then go to Settings> Privacy.
- Activate the new “Lock incognito tabs when you close Chrome” Possibility.
With the feature enabled, it’s safe to leave incognito tabs open in the background as anyone trying to access your active incognito tabs will need to provide a matching Face ID in order to unlock them.
This is how it works:
- Reopen an incognito tab in the background in Chrome.
- Click around “Unlock with Face ID” when prompted.
- Let your device do the face scan. If it matches, your tabs will be unlocked and you can pick up where you left off.
G / O Media can receive a commission
While locking your incognito tabs will keep other people away, keep in mind that Chrome’s incognito mode is not an anonymous browser mode. Websites and ISPs can still track a lot of data from Incognito Mode, so it shouldn’t be used in place of other privacy tools like. be used Tracker blocker and VPNs.