Screenshot: Joel Cunningham
Donating a gift to a complete stranger is a great way to celebrate the Christmas cheer, but you need to know where and how to donate first. Giving someone a chance in the street is not the most effective method, and some charities do not make it clear where your donations are actually going. Fortunately, there are plenty of trustworthy donation programs out there too. Here are five places to donate a gift this year and trust it will go to someone who will appreciate it.
Toys for toddlers
One of the most famous donation programs is also one of the best. Only 3% of the monetary donations to Toys for toddlers to cover donation expenses, the remaining 97% go directly to needy children. (If you need more persuasion, you can view the tax forms and audits of the organizations on his website.)
Toys of Tots also offers a variety of ways to donate, whether in cash, through a toy donation, or by supporting one of the organization’s social programs. An extensive local branch network and clear online menus make donations even easier.
There is a similar program OneSimpleWishthat connects donors with foster children. The organization publishes the children’s special requests on its website, along with the dollar amount needed to fulfill them. This allows you to donate the amount you want to buy the item you want, if it is important to you.
In addition, the page includes “Big Wishes” for families, which tend to be more expensive, such as a new washer and dryer; These articles are funded through crowdfunding. You can see the current status of the financing and decide on a corresponding donation.
OneSimpleWish has received a four-star rating from Charity Navigator and a top-rated award from GreatNonprofits, so you know your donation is actually going to help a foster child.
Prison Fellowship Angel Tree
Prison scholarship runs donation programs year round, but considering donations make up in December 30% of the annual donations, its Angel Tree program is possibly its largest fundraiser. The program raises funds to send gifts to children on behalf of their imprisoned parents. Since one of 49 children With one parent in jail in the US, this is an opportunity to make a world of difference in many lives.
You can read the stories of real children who have received gifts from the Prison Fellowship Angel Tree if you want to know how those donations affect children. The program also accepts donations in kind and funds additional activities such as summer camps and sports camps.
Around the holidays, Bundeshaus focuses on helping homeless children. The organization operates in 31 cities in six countries, Homeless people and victims of human trafficking Accommodation and care.
You can donate a gift in person at any of the Covenant House locations, or browse the gift catalog to donate online. They also accept monetary donations, and you can review their audits and tax reports to make sure your donations go directly to children in need.
r / RandomKindness
A less conventional way to donate a gift to a stranger this season is to look through the subreddit r / RandomKindness, which highlights requests from redditors in need and enables you to find a case that touches your heart and that you can help directly. If you have something specific on your mind, you can make an offer and see if someone needs it.
Some of the top posts this month include a Redditor thanking three users to make her birthday special; one Offer for warm clothes and blankets; and $ 10 for Starbucks for someone in need of a pick-me-up.
The subreddit has Rules for inquiries and offersTo fight fraud and ensure people who really need help get it.