Microsoft is rolling out an Outlook update to fix a strange bug for Microsoft 365 users that is causing email text to disappear as you type and incoming messages to appear blank. In other words, a productivity-damaging nightmare, whether you rely on Outlook for work or for fun.
While Microsoft says the bug is limited to the Outlook desktop client, some users have also reported issues with blank messages and text disappearing on the web and mobile versions. Fortunately, Microsoft identified the problem and released a patch early Wednesday morning to fix the problem. According to the latest status Microsoft 365 Service Bulletin“The fix has been applied to all affected environments,” and the patch is now available to everyone.
Some Outlook users may already have the patch installed thanks to automatic updates. However, you can find and install the patch manually:
- Open the Outlook app.
- Go to File> Office Account> Product Information
- Choose Update options> Update now.
- Let the update install. You will see one “You are up to date!” Message when it’s done.
- Close all other Microsoft 365 apps and restart Outlook.
You can also install the patch from the Microsoft Store on Windows 10:
- Close all Microsoft 365 apps
- Open the Microsoft Store app on your PC.
- Click on that “…” Icon at the top right, then click on “Downloads and Updates.”
- click “Get updates” to download and install all software updates, or scroll through the “Pending Updates” list and click “To install” in addition to Microsoft 365 and / or Outlook.
Microsoft notes that some users may still get the blank email error even after installing the patch. In this case, users should “restart their client a second time for the changes to take effect”.
If the problem persists even after the second reboot, Submit a bug report to Microsoft. Anecdotal user feedback suggests that using the Outlook website in Chrome is more secure than Edge or the desktop client.
G / O Media can receive a commission